Skip to main content

Install and verify IIS HttpModules with custom config sections

A week ago I started to learn about HttpModules and HttpHandlers watching a pluralsight course by Robert Boedigheimer. First of all I want to really recommend this course, I learned a lot of stuff which I could not find in any other course, book or blog post.

As I already did in the past with another course, I want to add some comments and extend the HttpModule part. I refer to the course example with the serverMaskModuleGAC.

I walked into some trap doors and thereby I found another approach to simplify the installation process of the module to GAC a little bit. With this approach I am able to verify my custom config sections and module registration is correct.

Here is my approach:

1. When you have finished your implementation for serverMaskModule, install it in the GAC as usual by using the gacutil tool. By the way, there are some traps when you need to install it on Windows Server 2012. Here I am using Windows 8.1 64 Bit. I created my HttpModule with .NET 2.0 because it seems to be more compatible with different IIS and Windows versions. On Windows Server 2012 I was not able to install it with .NET version 4.5.

2. Copy your custom config section schema into the folder C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\config\schema

3. Add the custom config section in applicationHost.config

4. Register your module by using IIS Manager. Click on the server node, and choose Modules:


5. Click "Add Managed Module"


6. Click again on the server node and choose Configuration Editor


7. Choose the serverMaskedModule section


8. For testing purposes choose another value for header filter (In my implementation I have changed the parameter name from "name="serverMaskModuleGACHeaders" to "headerFilter"):


As long as the value is shown in normal print, it is the default value coming from the custom config section. When you change the value it will be bold printed, IIS Manager will add the config section in the applicationHost.config file.

9. If you did not get any error messages so far you can start sending your first test requests to verify the module is working and filtering the headers you have chosen in the in the serverMaskModule section.

The advantage of this approach is you can test and verify, that module registration and your custom config is validated. E.g. when you have a spelling mistake in your config section you will get an error messages like this:



Popular posts from this blog

How to get started with Windows Server AppFabric easily

In my opinion it is really hard to get started with Windows Server AppFabric. There is good material, but it is shuffled around in different sources. A good intro can you find here: this all-in-one intro by Scott Hanslmann  this caching intro by Wade Wegener  Additional helpful resources are Microsoft's Introduction Part 1 and Microsoft's Introduction Part 2 by Jon Flanders  Pluralsight's Hosting Fundamentals   Pluralsight's Caching Introduction   Microsoft's Caching Documentation   Good books are Microsoft Windows Server AppFabric Cookbook   and Pro Windows Server: AppFabric Please also watch out for software updates, currently there is CU 4 . To keep yourself updated subscribe to Distributed Services News Feed . Updated my list on 11.03.2014 with one more Download the Windows Server AppFabric Samples

How to delete Azure Active-Directories

When I was trying to delete an Azure Active-irectory by using the management portal I have received the error message “Directory contains one or more applications that were added by a user or administrator” and I was really confused. Then I found out this is a common issue. The solution was even more confusing, some PowerShell cmdlets are needed. Unfortunately I was not able to proceed, it was not possible to login with my Microsoft-ID to execute the needed commands. Here I found out I have to install the correct version of the tools. These are located here .

How to fix Windows Server AppFabric Dashboard on Windows Server 2012 / Windows 8

Windows Server AppFabric is a great enhancement for IIS and its caching capabilities are great for .NET applications. But currently there is a very annoying bug regarding its monitoring UI, so called “Dashboard”. Especially for me as a non WF guy (I am actually just working with WCF) it was really hard to figure it out. Hence, many thanks to Gianluca from Distributed Services at Microsoft! Windows Server AppFabric Dashboard does not work on Windows Server 2012 / Windows 8. You will receive this error message "Unable to cast object of type 'System.Management.Automation.PSCustomObject' to type 'Microsoft.ApplicationServer.Management.Data.GroupByInfo'." This error will cause that you cannot see any request statistics neither WF nor for WCF: The reason is, I quote Microsoft here: "[...] the root cause is a powershell script embedded in AF code that returns different results when ran on Windows 2012. This script is about statistics for Idle & per...